Author Topic: W111 220 SEb - wake up of a "barn find" (project)  (Read 356 times)

Zac73

• View Profile
W111 220 SEb - wake up of a "barn find" (project)
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
Hi all,

I started this topic to tell a little bit about a project I started just a bit over a year ago.
All the way I have written a story on a finnish MB forum (mersuforum.net) with a title:
"W111 220 SEb - latomersun herätys ikiunesta?"  - That's in Finnish, sorry for the encryption 8)

But let me start by a short history of this car:
This is a four door 220SEb from late 1965, it is originally bought to Finland by a company called "Valon Kone KY".
They are a maker of machinery used for timber "peeling" and they were going international back in the 60'ies.
May be this fancy car illustrates their ambition at the time!

Since the first three years as a company call they sold the car and it was re-located to the harbor town of Turku, Finland.
During the next 7 years it had various owners in Turku starting from a winery owner to a lieutenant. All this history
was found through a survey I ordered from the Finnish National Archive. What a great service that is.

At around 10years of age so late 1975 or so the car was bought by my dad. His plan was to turn this car from straight-6
fuel injection petrol to diesel. You must remember that this was very common during the the "oil crisis" especially in the
Northern Europe. So he bought the car and stored it into a barn to be soon "converted"... Well, some other more appealing
projects came along and the car was pretty much forgotten there for decades...

That is, until last fall (2017) when I decided to start digging this car up. As a side note my dad passed on 2014 and he left
at least a dozen of different cars behind but only this W111 and another W110 in the garage next door were left now...
From the other cars there was just 1 additional Mercedes (W115 -75) which I sold as whole to another hobbyist.

So that was the history of this Finnie - a car used in traffic just 10 years - but then almost abandoned in a barn for next 42 years...(!) :-\
But the story continues...

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Re: W111 220 SEb - wake up of a "barn find" (project)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
Very interesting! It's nice to know a vehicle's history. Those plans sound like the same ones I have to convert a W111 to a diesel. Hopefully by being stored in a barn for so long, it stayed out of the weather and was preserved well. I look forward to hearing and seeing more about it.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

LWB250

• View Profile
Re: W111 220 SEb - wake up of a "barn find" (project)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
Zac73,

Great story!

That's one of the things I place a fair amount of value on when I buy a car like this - provenance.  A lot of people don't care, but I think it enhances the value and enjoyment of the car if you know something about its history and the people that owned it.  I'll even go to the trouble of interviewing the former owner to see what they can tell me about the car.  The little storiesare pretty cool, and really give the car an identity.

I once owned a 1962 300SE that belonged to a nuclear physicist who worked at the University of California- Berkeley.  He had passed away and I bought it from his estate.  I was able to track down one of his daughters who lived in Los Angeles, CA, and speak with her about the car.  At first I think she thought I was a little bit crazy when I called her up without warning one day and asked her if I could talk to her about her Dad's car.  Once I established my motive, she was more than happy to tell me stories about the car and her Dad.  I think it did a lot to brighten her day and no doubt brought back a lot of good memories.  She told me about how she and her sister would ride in the back seat and had to keep their hands folded and not put them on anything inside the car besides the door handle...

Looking forward to hearing more about your 220SEb.

Dan