Author Topic: Front Wheel Camber Adjustment  (Read 102 times)

PeterPortugal

• View Profile
Front Wheel Camber Adjustment
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:10:29 AM »
Hi Guys,

I hope everyone and their families are all well. Thanks Squiggle Dog for more or less single handedly keeping this forum going.

I am adjusting my front wheel camber and ran into something I hadn't considered before starting the job.

The specs for my 1963 220SEb/C call for 0 Degrees and 30 minutes of positive camber. If you set the eccentric bolt at the upper part of the kingpin so the camber is maximum positive (i.e the spindle is located to the maximum outboard position), you then have two choices to reduce the positive camber to achieve the target value. You can rotate the bolt clockwise or anti-clockwise and I assume that both will have the effect of moving the upper part of the kingpin further inboard and reducing the amount of positive camber.

Picture 1 - Spindle adjusted to give Max positive camber
Picture 2 - Spindle adjusted to give Max negative camber
Picture 3 - Midpoint with spindle high
Picture 4 - Midpoint with spindle low

My point is I believe that adjusting the spindle as per pictures 3 and 4 would give you a similar camber so which option should you choose? What other effect could the choice have?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:12:33 AM by PeterPortugal »

Cth350

• View Profile
Re: Front Wheel Camber Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:34:13 PM »
It's been about 30 years since I've talked to anybody about front end alignment on a king pin suspension.
Won't your choice of rotation make a subtle change in ride height and the adjustment of the flat spring in front would need a follow-up?

-CTH

PeterPortugal

• View Profile
Re: Front Wheel Camber Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
Hi Charles,

I think you are right but I am not sure which option to take. I think that in the end I will resolve it by trial and error.

Hope you're well, the chassis repair book has come in handy !!

Regards

Peter