Author Topic: Broken Parts...  (Read 802 times)

mb101

• View Profile
Broken Parts...
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:29:58 AM »
When I was replacing my fuel pump, I was dumb enough to break the line that connects the fuel pump to carburetors. I tried to find the part with a dealer, but they couldn't find the correct one for sure after I sent them my engine number. Not sure if I took the wrong photos on the engine. Any helps will be great :)

chizucc

• View Profile
Re: Broken Parts...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 06:33:56 PM »
There's a riveted plated on the driver's side of your engine. It should begin with an M, mine is M127....

Cth350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
a photo of the broken part, in a form that I can read (like that jpg) would be handy. :)

Off the top of my head, there are two basic pipes between carb and fuel pump, one has a screw fitting on each end. The other has barbs that a fuel line is clamped to.

I recall the very first time I wanted to dress up my engine compartment and that frayed fuel line just had to go. So, I cut it, or tried to, only to discover it was a very nice braided wrap over a metal line. I learned that the frayed wrap looked a lot better than the naked metal line. 

-CTH

mb101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:05:44 PM »
a photo of the broken part, in a form that I can read (like that jpg) would be handy. :)

Off the top of my head, there are two basic pipes between carb and fuel pump, one has a screw fitting on each end. The other has barbs that a fuel line is clamped to.

I recall the very first time I wanted to dress up my engine compartment and that frayed fuel line just had to go. So, I cut it, or tried to, only to discover it was a very nice braided wrap over a metal line. I learned that the frayed wrap looked a lot better than the naked metal line. 

-CTH

Hmm not sure why, but the photos show up on my end. Let me poke around to see if there's another way to upload photos here.

Yes, it is the metal line that is wrapped/braided. I didn't know there was a metal line inside, so I broke it which was super dumb :(

It seems like it's only connecting carbs and fuel pump. But the dealer asked me for engine number even though he knows my VIN and type of engine (M180). Should I try another dealer? Or maybe MB classic center?

Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
I doubt you will find a new one but there are probably some used ones around.
You could take it to a Good  hydraulic hose shop and have it repaired (Brazed,Soldered ,Sleeved)

Cth350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:23 AM »
The photo problem is the file type. It's not format supported by the browser without adding other software to the machine. Try a *.png or *.jpg output file format.

Going from memory, the carb end has a female fitting that screws to the carb's fitting and the fuel pump end is a simple barb to accept a flexible line?

-CTH

mb101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
Finally figured it out... I just put fuel hose connecting the two pieces together. With a new fuel pump installed, it started! I took it around the neighborhood yesterday. It is still hesitating. My next step is to clean the carbs and new fuel filter to see if it will be better.

Cth350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
There are close to a dozen different M180 combinations out there. Mercedes organizes all their parts based on either chassis code or engine code and in some cases, both.  For something like this, there must be four different parts that it could be.  Even the classic center would have asked you for that info.

-CTH