Author Topic: 220b Not Starting after I "Fixed" it...  (Read 78 times)

mb101

• View Profile
220b Not Starting after I "Fixed" it...
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
I planned to do one task at a time, but I had extra time that day, so I took more things apart than I should have (I didn't have all the parts then, so I couldn't put it back together at the same day)...

Then a week or two later I started to work on it again with the parts that I needed, but after I put everything together, it doesn't run now...

Now the car doesn't start at all (it used to start right up and idle fine. It only had problem accelerating.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpPlVvz6N0&frags=pl%2Cwn

Here are what I had done to it:
1. New air filter. I removed the air intake thing that is connect to the carburetors.
2. I removed the top of the carburetors.
3. Removed the old NGK BP6ES and replaced with BP5ES. I'm almost 100% certain that my firing order is correct. I found the first plug, and went clockwise following the sequence on the motor. But as the car is not starting, I may be wrong :(
4. Removed the distributor cap, and points, rotor, and unscrewed couple other things there. I ended up putting the old points back in.

Though I managed to put everything back together, I'm pretty sure that I messed up somewhere. If I were to guess, I'd think it was something in the distributor. I'm attaching a photo of the distributor. It doesn't look dirty, but I'm not sure if that is the reason why it's not starting.

I tried to troubleshoot, I took the center wire off, and it sparked near the metal part of the engine, so I assume that is working fine. The rotor still rotates, so that should be fine as well.

I'm thinking I installed the old points wrong, or when I misplaced some wires there in the distributor...

Scoot

• View Profile
Re: 220b Not Starting after I "Fixed" it...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »
It looks wet in your distributor.  Is it?  Or is that just the way the photo turned out. 
1965 300SE Lang
1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé

Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
One thing for sure is you should not have a gap in the point tips in the position you have the distributor.
Gap should be @ .020 in with the plastic thing on the point  touching raised cam lobe on the distributor shaft .

mb101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:18:31 PM »
One thing for sure is you should not have a gap in the point tips in the position you have the distributor.
Gap should be @ .020 in with the plastic thing on the point  touching raised cam lobe on the distributor shaft .

Got it! I'll test it tomorow with the feeler gauge that I just bought ;)

It looks wet in your distributor.  Is it?  Or is that just the way the photo turned out.

It's actually dry, but with quite a lot of the residue from fuel?

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:16:43 AM »

Why would there be fuel inside your distributor?

mb101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »

Why would there be fuel inside your distributor?

I got it wrong... I watched a video that mentioned about crankcase gas vapor ended up there, so I thought it was the same as fuel... Should I clean the plate? If so, what should I use? I've been googling a lot, but most people mention about points and condenser, not much I could find on the plate itself...

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I'd wipe down the inside of the distributor with a paper towel or rag to get the majority of the oil residue off. It's probably oil vapors from the engine that settled and not likely to affect anything.

The points should be completely closed when the flat spots of the distributor cam are touching them. Only when the tips, or the very center of the high spots of the cam are touching the points should the gap be set. It would be a good idea to take a paper towel with brake parts cleaner sprayed on it and to run it between the point halves to clean them. Or maybe just run some paperboard up and down between the points. You can actually take sandpaper (maybe 400 grit) and slide it back and forth between the points to clean them if they are really dirty. What you want is to end up with is a set of points that is clean and properly adjusted.

I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition system in my roommate's 1965 W111 220S, and it replaces points. So, there is no more need to adjust or replace points. It's just a little plastic box that fits where the points used to go, and a magnet sleeve that fits under the rotor.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »
Also, you should inspect the metal parts of the rotor and the cap where the edge of the rotor sends the electricity to it. If the metal isn't shiny and clean, you can scrape off oxidization with a little flat blade screwdriver or maybe sandpaper.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000