Author Topic: 1k mile road trip  (Read 62 times)

fitts07

• View Profile
1k mile road trip
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
Hello everyone.

My wife, youngest son and I are going on a vacation in late August, we are planning on driving the Fintail. All in all it will be 1000 miles round trip in 300 mile intervals over 3 or 4 days. All flat highway driving. I was using it as a daily driver for about 5 months before I left for deployment back in December and I only ever had one issue, dead ignition coil left us stranded at walmart. It is a 1968 230, automatic.

So I have done major work on it since I bought it about 2 years ago. It has a completely new braking system, the only thing that wasn't replaced were the lines but they look to be in good shape. Lots of rubber bushings replaced; including rear trailing arms, engine and trans mounts, front sub-frame, flex disc... ect. It has Pertonix ignition with a 3 ohm coil, i bypassed the ballast resistor. Weber carbs (i have a set of Zeniths i am in the process of rebuilding), new (w108) gas tank, new fuel pump, rebuilt power steering pump, resealed steering box, working A/C, re-cored radiator, new water pump, all fluids have been changed. The list goes on and on. Its a solid car.

Before we leave i am going to get my NOS muffler installed and some of the exhaust replaced, and i need to buy a spare tire.

I'm looking for some pointers on what to check over before we leave and ideas of what spares i should take with me? If any? I usually always have a .50 cal ammo can in the trunk full of basic tools.
Anyone have road trip experience with their Fintail?

Its what non-car people dont get. They see all cars as just two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car, and thats just what non-car people don't get.

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Re: 1k mile road trip
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 01:59:32 AM »
Sounds exciting! I've driven a 1968 W110 200D from Washington to Utah and back. It was a comfortable and fun ride. http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/vintage-mercedes-forum/276086-2-000-mile-trip-planned-1968-w110-200d-4.html

Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:18:08 AM »
Tools are good. And jumper cables and a tow strap. First aid kit, blankets, flashlight, flares, spare food and water... I say to also make sure any suspects parts are addressed. One of the issues I had on my trip is the injection pump (not applicable in your case) had a bad governor diaphragm and needed calibration, and the injectors were old, so the idle was erratic and smoke came out of the exhaust at high altitudes (around 7,000 feet). My heater core valves were stuck open, so it made for a hot trip, but I managed to clamp the hoses shut with a small hose clamp and washers. It's something that should have been addressed before the trip. My radiator had a split in the upper tank which I had patched and JB-Welded, but it split open during the trip. Fortunately I didn't lose enough coolant to cause any problems, but it was another thing that should have been addressed before the trip--but I was poor and short on time.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

fitts07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »
The only thing i am slightly concerned about would be the rear wheel bearings. Im not sure they have ever been re-packed. I get no weird noises or anything right now though. My cooling system is 100%, all new hoses and water pump and radiator ect. I guess ill set the cruise ( my foot ) on 70mph and roll on. If she does okay on this trip i might drive the car further to my family's house in FL. That would be close to a 2000K mile round trip. Ill be needing my next High Mileage Award soon if i keep this up lol.
Its what non-car people dont get. They see all cars as just two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car, and thats just what non-car people don't get.

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
Tools and a spare tire are always a good thing same with the flash light  coolant by the looks of the car you can to the 1k trip nonstop.  I drove a long time ago my W110 all the way from Kansas City to Padre Island  TX. Besides stopping for fuel food and naps that car never missed a beat round trip.