Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz, Mattel Make Matchbox Out Of Rally Legend  (Read 617 times)

Evlkarl

• View Profile
Mercedes-Benz, Mattel Make Matchbox Out Of Rally Legend
« on: May 20, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
And itís gifting the new toy to first-grade girls.
I was having dinner a few months ago with a former Formula 1 driver. Iím not going to name names, but suffice it to say, it was a pretty cool experience. He had insights on racing and driving and cars that left me and my fellow car nerds transfixed. And then someone asked if he thought women would ever make it in F1.

He essentially said that women lack the physical strength and Ė due to their maternal instincts Ė the ability to compete with men. It was a surprising (and disappointing) comment, although it shouldnít be that shocking considering the hyper-masculine world of auto racing. But why? Why hasnít there been a successful female F1 driver? Why isnít there a more even gender split in amateur racing? Why arenít there more Ewy Rosqvists in the world?

Rosqvist, for those not up on their racing history, is a certified rally badass. The Swede, a Mercedes-Benz factory driver, was the first woman to win the 1962 Argentinian Touring Car Grand Prix and was a class winner at both the Monte Carlo Rally and the Nurburgring. And she did it at time when most American women thought their place was in the kitchen. To celebrate Rosqvist breaking the glass ceiling standing between her and the podium, Mercedes-Benz is teaming with Mattel to develop a special-edition Matchbox car based on Rosqvist and her silver Mercedes 220SE.

video here

https://www.motor1.com/news/350543/mercedes-benz-mattel-partnership-video/

Robin

• View Profile
Re: Mercedes-Benz, Mattel Make Matchbox Out Of Rally Legend
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:38:40 PM »
Thanks for this post! Great marketing move from MB.
Robin

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

finnyracer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »
He essentially said that women lack the physical strength and Ė due to their maternal instincts Ė the ability to compete with men.

That is an appalling statement and I hope the F1 ace is an old legend still living in the 60s fog.

Just from memory:

Women competed frequently and successfully against the odds in the 1920s at Brooklands - Kay Petre is a name that comes to mind.

There was a lady by the name of Maria Teresa de Phillipi who raced Maseratis very successfully in the 50s

Desire Wilson from South Africa raced in F1 in the 70s.

Michele Mouton and her female navigator narrowly missed the world rally championship in the 80s in an Audi Quattro - I think the decider was that she missed one event due to her father's ill health.

Elen Lohr raced 190E EvoIIs in DTM in the 90s.

Danica Patrick was a hugely successful Indycar and Nascar racer

I think the problem lies more with women not being offered the same opportunities as men in a male dominated arena. Danica Patrick and Michelle Mouton have shown that women have the ability to excel in motor racing.

Aguila_Uno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
I think it is really impressive what Ewy managed to do. Also, really cool that she did it in a 220SE Fintail. I just had to get myself one of the toys. Got it here if anyone is interested:

https://shopdiecasttalk.com/collections/pre-order/products/matchbox-1-64-mercedes-benz-62-220se-sedan-ewy-rosqvist-champion-car
Die Mercedes Benz Heckflosse - Faszination einer Legende