Author Topic: STREET-SPOTTED: MERCEDES-BENZ 200  (Read 1323 times)

Evlkarl

• View Profile
STREET-SPOTTED: MERCEDES-BENZ 200
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
From Autoweek

A tail-fin Benz from that blessed time when trunk badges denoted displacement

Given the continued presence of W123 Mercedes-Benz cars on the streets, embodying the image of the "vintage Benz" alongside the W108 cars, it's easy to forget what came before them. Mercedes' history in America certainly did not begin with the W123 or its more luxurious siblings, but finding an example of a sedan between the Adenauer and the Pagoda is a tall order these days.

The sedan in the photo above is one of those rare cars, hailing from Mercedes' short-lived Heckflosse or tail-fin era. Codenamed W110, it's a midsizer positioned below Stuttgart's more luxurious W112 cars, but it shared a large number of components with them. In a nutshell, the less expensive W110/W111 cars were simpler, less powerful versions of Mercedes' sedans of the time, lacking the luxury features and chrome details of the more upscale sedans. This makes them far more difficult to spot today -- because they were the everyday sedans of the time, they didn't get be pampered or preserved, in contrast to the pricey coupes and sedans in Stuttgart's lineup.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/street-spotted-mercedes-benz-200

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Re: STREET-SPOTTED: MERCEDES-BENZ 200
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:38 AM »
Thanks for the article. "Rare cars"? "Short-lived tail fin era"? They made over half a million of the fintail sedans during a period of almost ten years (over ten years if you include the coupes)! "Now outnumbered by the 190SL"? I don't think so. "There aren't enough of these in the whole country (USA) to fill up a Safeway parking lot"? I beg to differ. I've observed enough on Craigslist alone to fill one up. These cars are actually fairly abundant and easy to find--except for the 230S, which I've found seem to be non-existent these days (other than some overpriced ones and ones that were owned by sellers who weren't serious about selling) and I've given up on trying to find one.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 17 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
There aren't enough of these in the whole country (USA) to fill up a Safeway parking lot"?

I think you got a point there. ;D ;D

fitts07

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
I tend to agree with them being a bit rare. Maybe not as rare as the article leads you to believe though. In my 2 years on owner ship and daily driving, i have never seen another fintail in person, ever. At any given time on the whole east coast there may be roughly 5 w110's for sale on craigslist. Albeit none are ever in decent condition or very original. 
Its what non-car people dont get. They see all cars as just two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car, and thats just what non-car people don't get.

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
In my 2 years on owner ship and daily driving, i have never seen another fintail in person, ever.

Back in the days when I was living in Germany 1970/80 once in a while you would see a Flosse as a daily driver most have been Strich 8. I went to many Mercedes Car shows and barely spotted another Heckflosse in the show. Driving around town and in different States they are  rare for sure.  A lot of Flossen ended up back in the 70/80th,s in the Middle East the same happen later with the Strich 8 and W123.