Author Topic: Sound Deadening Material?  (Read 1303 times)

LWB250

• View Profile
Sound Deadening Material?
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, so Admin should feel free to move this post if necessary...

With the installation of an aftermarket (noisy) fuel pump on my 1965 220SEb, since I've got the back seat and parcel shelf out from my headliner replacement I was giving some thought into adding some sound deadening material to these areas, such as DynaMat or Noico. While I'm a hard core purist, since this would be out of view I can't see why it would be a bad thing. I would expect to apply it right over the existing stock black material that's already in place, simply adding to the existing material and ideally reducing road and exterior noise.

I had planned to use this material when I install my new firewall material with the intent of cutting down on engine noise entering the cabin. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't perform the same purpose used in the rear of the car as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?

Thanks!

Dan

fitts07

• View Profile
Re: Sound Deadening Material?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Im not familiar with how the fuel pump is mounted on a 220SEb, but if its not could you mount it on rubber to isolate the noise?

I too and looking at putting down DynaMat in my 1968 230. I have a new carpet kit and I am collecting all the rubber seals to make the cabin watertight again. I think it would definitely cut down on exterior noise. I plan on lining the floor pan, behind the headliner, and the inside skin of the doors.  If the fuel pump is transmitting its noise through the your car's structure im not sure if the DynaMat could cut the noise completely though.

I believe new interior / firewall pads are still available.

I was also investigating adapting a w108 hood pad to my w110.

-Jason
Its what non-car people dont get. They see all cars as just two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car, and thats just what non-car people don't get.

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
Im not familiar with how the fuel pump is mounted on a 220SEb, but if its not could you mount it on rubber to isolate the noise?

I too and looking at putting down DynaMat in my 1968 230. I have a new carpet kit and I am collecting all the rubber seals to make the cabin watertight again. I think it would definitely cut down on exterior noise. I plan on lining the floor pan, behind the headliner, and the inside skin of the doors.  If the fuel pump is transmitting its noise through the your car's structure im not sure if the DynaMat could cut the noise completely though.

I believe new interior / firewall pads are still available.

I was also investigating adapting a w108 hood pad to my w110.

-Jason

No engine side firewall pads from Mercedes any longer, or if there are they are stupid expensive. I've looked at so much stuff in the EPC I can't recall. I'm pretty sure they're NLA. I don't think the interior ones are available, either.

The fuel pump is mounted using the three rubber isolators the original pump used, and they're fairly new, too. It's just a loud rotary pump, that's all.

Dan

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »
Despite Amazon's best efforts to get the Noico product to me on time, it finally showed up today. I used the whole box (18 square feet) along with a few square feet of left over DynaMat to cover the rear seat area and parcel shelf. It went on pretty easily. I removed the old sound insulation on the area below the seat, but not on the rear wall behind the seat, as it was in good shape and well attached.

I'll post a link to my blog when I update it.

And my sill mats came in from Andreas from Germany today!

Dan