Author Topic: Hello, Name is Jamie. My 220S is Maude. Super glad to be here. Thanks Squiggle  (Read 952 times)

1965 Maude

• Nothing better than a Fintail!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:48:40 AM by 1965 Maude »
1965 Mercedes 220S
1991 Mercedes 350SDL
1965 Ford Country Sedan
1960 Ford F100 Custom Cab

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
This here is a great car, and the owner drives it regularly--in fact he even drove it to work today. Here is a picture of me with it during the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Club of America car show where it won an award for "Most Unusual Color".
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 17 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

Aaron H

• View Profile
Is this Arabian Gray? 

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Is this Arabian Gray?

It's 190G (Graphite Grey), but was repainted a different shade that has a blue tint.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 17 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

Aaron H

• View Profile
Graphite gray is a really cool color, too!  I've always thought that Fintails look good in dark blue, too. Especially with a medium or dark red interior.  :)

1965 Maude

• View Profile
Yeah, I plan doing two tone theme when she goes in for paint...The Body will be the original Graphite Grey, I am going back and forth on the roof color being either Black or off White/Cream.
1965 Mercedes 220S
1991 Mercedes 350SDL
1965 Ford Country Sedan

Aaron H

• View Profile
Given that your interior is also a dark color, I'd go with a light color like 181 hellbeig, 716 graubeige,  726 beigegrau, or maybe even 158 Weissgrau.  However, in the first picture below you can see that Mercedes suggested 040 Black to go with the 190 Graphite Gray.  So I suppose if you want to be authentic then go with the Black.  Otherwise do it the way you like!  :) 

The second picture shows the percentage of cars painted in 190 Graphite Gray in 1965.  In 1965, 7.8% of all cars being made were 190 Graphite Gray.  If we consider U.S. sales alone in 1965, which is 12,115 units, that figure alone gives us right at 1,000 cars that were painted Graphite Gray.  If we factor in all of the other world market sales, the number of cars painted Graphite gray goes up exponentially.  Just thought that would be of interest to you. :) 

1965 Maude

• View Profile
Wow Aaron, Thank you for the great info. Very much appreciated.  The interior is black and I changed the wood color to a more light color.
1965 Mercedes 220S
1991 Mercedes 350SDL
1965 Ford Country Sedan

Aaron H

• View Profile
Looks great!  I love the Grundig radio!  So few knew of it being a choice!  I collect and restore these radios, and have amassed a lovely collection of them over the years.  Having done so, I can say with certainly that the Grundig and Blaupunkt radios sound 10 times better than any Becker ever did.  Though, I'll have ot give credit to the early Becker radios that were vacuum tube operated.  They sounded pretty good.  And it even has the correct knobs on it! :) 

I'm glad you made mention of the wood.  So many people ask what the correct color of the wood is supposed to be, and what species it is.  Well, all the Fintails had the same species of wood.....Beech Wood.  And as far as I know it was all the same color.  Unfortunately, the interior appointments book doesn't say what color it is, but only that it's "stained Beech Wood", or  in the book it says:

"Holzteile (Fensterschlussel Bordkante, Turen und Windschutz, Instrumententafel Mitteltell, Holzstab auf Hutablage, Lautsprecherblendehaha......Buche gebeizt.  All of this translates roughly to:

"Wooden parts (window clasp curb, doors and windscreen, instrument panel center panel, wooden staff on hat rack, speaker grill ...... Beech stained  (Picture below). 

I believe the very early models had a wood strip on top of the parcel shelf, or hat rack.  Hence, the "wooden staff". 

With the introduction of the W111/W112 coupe` and cabriolet and the 600, the wood species choice became much greater.  And in 1965 when the W108 and W109 were introduced, yet another species became available.  For all of the chassis previously mentioned, the species of veneer available were:

Straight grained walnut (Nussbaum)
Walnut root (Wurzelnuss)
Macassar Ebony
Brazilian Rosewood (Rio Palisander)
Plain Rosewood (Palisander)

While the aforementioned isn't related to Fintail cars, it's interesting, no less. :)   

1965 Maude

• View Profile
Thank you Aaron, with your wealth of knowledge, you will be a very good resource in this forum...Thanks again  ;D
1965 Mercedes 220S
1991 Mercedes 350SDL
1965 Ford Country Sedan

Aaron H

• View Profile
Thank you Aaron, with your wealth of knowledge, you will be a very good resource in this forum...Thanks again  ;D

Well, you're very welcome, but I'm still excited that you have a Grundig. haha  Such a neat radio!  :)