Author Topic: WTB/Swap - Becker Europa TG Faceplate & Mounting Hardware  (Read 395 times)

LWB250

• View Profile
WTB/Swap - Becker Europa TG Faceplate & Mounting Hardware
« on: March 11, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
Anybody got a faceplate and/or mounting hardware for a Becker Europa TG laying around in a parts box somewhere?

This would be for the older tube version, not the later (67-on) transistorized version. I have a TG that’s a tube version but a faceplate for a transistorized version, and they’re not compatible as the tube version has thicker pushbuttons and shaft centers that are in different positions.

Thanks!

Dan

Scoot

• View Profile
Re: WTB/Swap - Becker Europa TG Faceplate & Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
I have a faceplate for a TG carefully filed in my Becker parts collection.  What are you looking to spend?  I think I have a NOS dial scale also...
1965 300SE Lang
1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
Don't know. I only spent $125 for the radio and got a later transistor model faceplate with it that's of no use to me.

Dan

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
Don't know. I only spent $125 for the radio and got a later transistor model faceplate with it that's of no use to me.
Post pictures of both please.  I'm a little confused.  The shaft spread on a TG and TR is the same so when you said the incorrect faceplate has holes in the wrong spot I get a bit confused.  Also, what car is this going into, or is it just for the shelf?  Does it work?
1965 300SE Lang

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
It works, sort of. Volume is low, but I don't have a decent antenna handy to trim, so it's quite possible the lack of a strong signal is the culprit. I live within a mile or so of the largest terrestrial TV and radio mast farm in the area, so I can pretty much get signals in my fillings, but just shoving a piece of wire in the antenna jack is hardly a substitute for a proper antenna trimmed to the receiver.

The shaft centers relative to the openings on the faceplate I have are off center to the bottom. The buttons are too "tall" or thick to fit into the opening on the faceplate.

I got this for almost nothing. It's a shelf unit, if I get it working satisfactorily it could potentially go into the 1965 220SEb, or I might sell it to generate funds to cover the rebuild of the Blaupunkt that came with the 1965 220SEb. I'm pretty much up in the air on it at this point, so if you have some interest, let me know.

Thanks!

Dan

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:05:42 AM »
OK, you are trying to put a big Becker faceplate on a small becker radio.  Read stuff here:  https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Radio

You are missing a bunch of pieces.   The small-face chrome surround is totally different than the big face faceplate.  The big face goes on top of a pot metal frame that you don't have.  Look at the pics on the sl113 link and then I'll write more later.  Gotta go right now...

Also measure the spread between the centers of the shafts.  Is it about 112 mm?

1965 300SE Lang

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
I know I'm missing the mounting frame and brackets, I've done these before. And yes, this is an early ("big") radio and I have a small (later) faceplate, or a faceplate for the transistorized version radios. The shaft centers are 132mm.

Just trying to do some scrounging for the correct stuff so I can use this, or offload it to fund another approach.

Thanks,

Dan

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
Do you have the knobs and does the radio work?  TGs are probably one of my least favorite radios because they are difficult to work on, at least for me.   I do have a vacuum tube tester and I've been down this road before.    I'll look and see what fittings and chrome I have later today.  One of the problems is that the small face radio chrome is expensive because it also fits other small-face radios that happen to go in expensive cars.  (Small face Grand Prix and TRs are expensive radios). 
1965 300SE Lang

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
That's why I don't have the faceplate. Guy I bought it from used the faceplate for the solid state Becker his 1962 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider. For what it's worth the radio was originally installed in his parent's 1960 200, ordered in the US and picked up in Europe in Mellen, Switzerland, where they lived for two years before returning with the car to the US.

Here's what I got with it (see attachments). As stated previously, it powers up and drives my W111 dash speaker but the volume is weak. I don't have an antenna as my car is at the upholstery shop getting the headliner done. I can hear strong local stations on it, but the volume is low, and this is with a piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire about a foot long stuck in the antenna connector. Once my car is back I'll connect it to my antenna and trim it to see if it's any better.

Dan

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
Well, the two becker knobs are useful.  The rest doesn't go to it.  The metal bracket is for mounting a later radio in a W114/W115 only.
1965 300SE Lang

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »
Sorry to hijack the post but I really would like to see some pics of your 1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé maybe you have a link to direct me too of your car. I love Borgwards.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:48:03 PM by Evlkarl »

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
Sorry to hijack the post but I really would like to see some pics of your 1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé maybe you have a link to direct me too of your car. I love Borgwards.
http://s828.photobucket.com/user/srallen/slideshow/Borgward
1965 300SE Lang

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
Thank you Scoot lovely car. :)

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »
Dan, here's some pics.  The one with the three faces is just to show the difference.  I think the parts you need are the TG face with the two brackets and the two chrome nuts.
1965 300SE Lang

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
Yup, that's the ticket! Are these yours and possibly for sale? I've got some stuff to barter as well if you're interested - PM me and we'll chat.

Thanks!

Dan