Author Topic: How To Read The Speedometer  (Read 1386 times)

LWB250

• View Profile
How To Read The Speedometer
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
I have no problem showing my ignorance on this, as Iíve looked through the ownerís manual and other resources and yet to find a definitive answer.

So how exactly do you use the ďbarber poleĒ to read indicated speed? That is, where exactly does it indicate the speed against any given reference? Is the reference the left (lower) edge of the angle, the right (upper) edge of the angle, or dead center?

I realize there are shaded sections of the pole that when they fill the opening provide an indicated speed, but outside of those, how do you know exactly what speed youíre going?

Iím betting there are others out there with the same question but are too embarrassed to ask. I have no shame, Iíll take the hit.

Dan

Bidart39

• 1964 Mercedes W111 220Sb
    • View Profile
Re: How To Read The Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:44:28 PM »
I believe it is the top of the triangle, but it may be that I have speeding for a while  ;D

drew56cus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
It is especially hard to use the speedo in Australia! First, you have to guess which part of the scrolling speedo to read off. Then convert mph to km/h.
I go by the top tip of the scrolling speedo.
I find it is always a good exercise to calibrate (in your head) your mechanical speedo to a GPS-based speedo - most new cars over-estimate speed by around 10%, so most people are actually driving slower than the speed limit. This drives me nuts! As an engineer, everything must be optimised, including travelling at the max posted speed as much as possible!
A few W111 and W112 projects...

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »
Iím interested to see how everyone weighs in on this, as Iíve never figured it out despite doing my best to research the subject. I will say that as a part of this I did discover that it was not well accepted by the driving public which probably explains why it wasnít used on other models or after this application.

Iíve got a Garmin handheld GPS I need to put in the car so I can measure my speed to determine accuracy and possibly where I should read the ribbon for the proper speed.

Dan