Author Topic: Saving A 1965 W111 220  (Read 1088 times)

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Re: Saving A 1965 W111 220
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
Nice work Scott. Would have been awesome if you could have the car painted back in the original green color before installing the window. I have a feeling that old 220 would look fantastic in the original green with cognac interior.  ;D ;D Keep on working on it I might buy it from you.... ;D ;D ;) ;) BTW the Curtain hooks you are talking about  are coat hanger hooks.

Thanks. The moldings I got from you came in handy. The original color was actually maroon, and then it had a parchment interior. Hmmm, I'm not sure why someone would want coat hangers on each door.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

tram

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 04:43:19 PM »
Nice work Scott. Would have been awesome if you could have the car painted back in the original green color before installing the window. I have a feeling that old 220 would look fantastic in the original green with cognac interior.  ;D ;D Keep on working on it I might buy it from you.... ;D ;D ;) ;) BTW the Curtain hooks you are talking about  are coat hanger hooks.

Thanks. The moldings I got from you came in handy. The original color was actually maroon, and then it had a parchment interior. Hmmm, I'm not sure why someone would want coat hangers on each door.

It WOULD look good in the original green... but I'm pretty sure that this early car would have been Bamboo and not cognac... just sayin'.

See, Squiggy, you got a car for pennies that's a model I've been wanting one of forever- a plain- Jane B. They are tough to find! I have probably been seeking one that's not stupid money for junk longer than you have been chasing late 230S cars, and then this falls into YOUR lap and not mine. ;)

Don't take things so personally.

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it. :'(  I had no idea you'd be needing it... had I saved it I'd probably drive you wild asking stupid money for it for awhile, then cave in and let you have it for shipping costs just before I made you cry. ;D ;)

Yeah, I did call the wrecking yard it got taken to but it's LONG gone.
Life is sexually transmitted and fatal... so who needs airbags* and ABS?

*W112 excepted

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
See, Squiggy, you got a car for pennies that's a model I've been wanting one of forever- a plain- Jane B. They are tough to find! I have probably been seeking one that's not stupid money for junk longer than you have been chasing late 230S cars, and then this falls into YOUR lap and not mine. ;)

Man, where are you coming from?  He worked his ass off and has for years to find the car he wanted and this _might_ be a parts car donor for a VERY long term project. 

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it.
If the shoe fits, wear it...
1965 300SE Lang
1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé

tram

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »

Man, where are you coming from?  He worked his ass off and has for years to find the car he wanted and this _might_ be a parts car donor for a VERY long term project. 

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it.
If the shoe fits, wear it...

From where I am!! ;D
Life is sexually transmitted and fatal... so who needs airbags* and ABS?

*W112 excepted

waltklatt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
Squiggle,
Awesome that you rescued a 220 finny! 
Loved reading of your adventures. 
See, patience always pays off at the end.
A rustfree and perfect donor for your wagon bitsas.
My wagon was worse than that, bottom 6" were rusted out, eventhough the beautiful undercoating made it look perfect, but the rubber kept its shape, no metal.
No motor or transmission, had to source those.
Was a 4 year project for me to restore to near perfect condition.
Sad and happy to see it go.
Now wishing for a W114/115 wagon.
Keep up the excellent work!!
Walter

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
I certainly have worked hard to find what I have, and fortunately it's paid off in some ways. I got a car with a decent body, though it's not 100% ideal, it is pretty good and was free. I mean, I found the car I really wanted ten years ago but the seller (Chris Trosch) doesn't seem to be serious about selling anything. And now I have a couple guys in Australia collaborating to help me obtain the parts I need to convert my late style automatic column shift column to a manual. But, it's been a rocky road. Even with this free 220, there was the cost of transporting it here and obtaining a title (because it didn't come with one), so I'm in it a little bit, but feel like it gave me a good push forward.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:40:47 PM by Squiggle Dog »
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 15 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000