Author Topic: Saving A 1965 W111 220  (Read 2167 times)

Squiggle Dog

• IMA Universal Wagon Lover
    • View Profile
    • Fintail.org
Re: Saving A 1965 W111 220
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
Nice work Scott. Would have been awesome if you could have the car painted back in the original green color before installing the window. I have a feeling that old 220 would look fantastic in the original green with cognac interior.  ;D ;D Keep on working on it I might buy it from you.... ;D ;D ;) ;) BTW the Curtain hooks you are talking about  are coat hanger hooks.

Thanks. The moldings I got from you came in handy. The original color was actually maroon, and then it had a parchment interior. Hmmm, I'm not sure why someone would want coat hangers on each door.
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 17 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

1967 W110 230 Universal Wagon Project
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel 346,000

tram

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 04:43:19 PM »
Nice work Scott. Would have been awesome if you could have the car painted back in the original green color before installing the window. I have a feeling that old 220 would look fantastic in the original green with cognac interior.  ;D ;D Keep on working on it I might buy it from you.... ;D ;D ;) ;) BTW the Curtain hooks you are talking about  are coat hanger hooks.

Thanks. The moldings I got from you came in handy. The original color was actually maroon, and then it had a parchment interior. Hmmm, I'm not sure why someone would want coat hangers on each door.

It WOULD look good in the original green... but I'm pretty sure that this early car would have been Bamboo and not cognac... just sayin'.

See, Squiggy, you got a car for pennies that's a model I've been wanting one of forever- a plain- Jane B. They are tough to find! I have probably been seeking one that's not stupid money for junk longer than you have been chasing late 230S cars, and then this falls into YOUR lap and not mine. ;)

Don't take things so personally.

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it. :'(  I had no idea you'd be needing it... had I saved it I'd probably drive you wild asking stupid money for it for awhile, then cave in and let you have it for shipping costs just before I made you cry. ;D ;)

Yeah, I did call the wrecking yard it got taken to but it's LONG gone.
Life is sexually transmitted and fatal... so who needs airbags* and ABS?

*W112 excepted

Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »
See, Squiggy, you got a car for pennies that's a model I've been wanting one of forever- a plain- Jane B. They are tough to find! I have probably been seeking one that's not stupid money for junk longer than you have been chasing late 230S cars, and then this falls into YOUR lap and not mine. ;)

Man, where are you coming from?  He worked his ass off and has for years to find the car he wanted and this _might_ be a parts car donor for a VERY long term project. 

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it.
If the shoe fits, wear it...
1965 300SE Lang
1959 Borgward Isabella Coupé

tram

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »

Man, where are you coming from?  He worked his ass off and has for years to find the car he wanted and this _might_ be a parts car donor for a VERY long term project. 

Just because I am an ass and bummed that you found this car and I didn't, I have to tell you that two years ago I threw away the rusty ass carcass of a '68 200D with the exact column you are coveting in it.
If the shoe fits, wear it...

From where I am!! ;D
Life is sexually transmitted and fatal... so who needs airbags* and ABS?

*W112 excepted

waltklatt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
Squiggle,
Awesome that you rescued a 220 finny! 
Loved reading of your adventures. 
See, patience always pays off at the end.
A rustfree and perfect donor for your wagon bitsas.
My wagon was worse than that, bottom 6" were rusted out, eventhough the beautiful undercoating made it look perfect, but the rubber kept its shape, no metal.
No motor or transmission, had to source those.
Was a 4 year project for me to restore to near perfect condition.
Sad and happy to see it go.
Now wishing for a W114/115 wagon.
Keep up the excellent work!!
Walter

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
I certainly have worked hard to find what I have, and fortunately it's paid off in some ways. I got a car with a decent body, though it's not 100% ideal, it is pretty good and was free. I mean, I found the car I really wanted ten years ago but the seller (Chris Trosch) doesn't seem to be serious about selling anything. And now I have a couple guys in Australia collaborating to help me obtain the parts I need to convert my late style automatic column shift column to a manual. But, it's been a rocky road. Even with this free 220, there was the cost of transporting it here and obtaining a title (because it didn't come with one), so I'm in it a little bit, but feel like it gave me a good push forward.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:40:47 PM by Squiggle Dog »
Stop paying for animal enslavement, cruelty, and slaughter. Save your health and the planet. Go vegan! I did 17 years ago. https://challenge22.com/

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »
It's been over a year since I've updated this thread. The 220 survived my recent bankruptcy (which I did without an attorney since I couldn't afford one). It and my Universal wagon were too rough and the trustee didn't want them. Haha!

I discovered that the 220 is actually made out of two cars that were cut in half and welded together. The front is a nearly rust-free 1965 220, and the rear appears to be a rusty 1960 220! I noticed back when I was installing the rear windshield that something wasn't right with the C-pillars.

There is suspicious body filler under the rear seat area.

There is a weld bead running the entire width of the car.

More body filler where the two cars were joined.

At least I won't feel bad about cutting it apart again to join what's left of my rusty Universal wagon to it!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:55:25 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
The floors seem solid other than at the driver's seat belt mounting. The bracket is ready to rip out! I'm hoping that I can get away with patching this small area and avoid replacing the entire floor section.

The trunk floor is pretty rusty, but usable if I were to make the car driveable before converting it to a wagon. Fortunately, this part of the wagon is in good condition.

Crunchy side floors!

The 1960 model year trunk lid used a torsion bar instead of springs. For some reason, someone welded on the later hinges and punched holes to make the springs fit. Notice the early placement of the lug wrench brackets and the taller shock tower covers. The spare tire holder is also set up to hold skinnier tires than later years.

The rear half of the vehicle is so much rustier than the front!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:56:11 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
When I was cleaning out the trunk, I found a hood ornament!

I found a service booklet showing it spending the first several months in Germany, with the Becker Europa radio paperwork and data cards. The Classic Center wanted $150 plus a driver's license and registration or title for data cards, so I saved some money there!

The 220 didn't have a title. The normal course of operation would be to apply for a lost title, and take the vehicle to the Department of Motor Vehicles, or arrange for an inspection--all of which is a hassle and can be expensive. But, I found a loophole, which was registering in the state of Vermont, and then registering it in Arizona.

Here are a couple videos that explain the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sWBqgP1PI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgK4pbaA1g .

Have the person selling the car fill out their part of a Bill of Sale: https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VT-005-Bill_Of_Sale_Odometer_Cert.pdf and Vermont registration application form: https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App_0.pdf ( https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/new ).

Then you mail in those two documents with a check for the total amount which you have to calculate (keep in mind you need to pay the NADA value for your car, no matter how much you actually paid for it--make sure it's what NADA currently says it's worth!). After a few weeks if it's accepted, they'll mail you a registration and a license plate.

You do not need to be a resident of Vermont, and you do not have to appear in person in Vermont nor have the vehicle inspected there. Anything you have to do besides mailing them a form and a check would be a requirement of the state in which you reside.

Then you take the registration paper and license plate to your state's Department of Motor Vehicles and tell them that Vermont does not issue titles on older vehicles. Then they'll give you a title, registration, and plate in your state, unless they absolutely have to have an inspection. In this case, you'll have to either bring the car with you to the licensing office (probably best if it not have your state's plate on it), or you'll have to arrange to have a police officer come by to inspect the vehicle at your house and then bring in the form the officer signs with you.

Also, keep in mind there could potentially be a problem if you register your vehicle in the same state in which you bought it AND it has been reported as stolen or there is a lien on the lost title.

My 220 had a low NADA value of $4,375 in Vermont at the time. The total registration fees were $285.50--$262.50 of it was tax. Vermont only charges 6% sales tax on vehicles. I registered it with an antique plate, as that was the least expensive way. I mailed off the paperwork to Vermont on January 21st and received the plates and registration by February 11th, so it took a total of three weeks. No notary or inspection of the vehicle was required.

After receiving the Vermont plate and registration, I went to the Department of Motor Vehicles and got an Arizona title, registration, and plate. It cost me $80.75 to title and register the $4,375 low NADA value car in Arizona on top of the $285.50 it cost to register it in Vermont.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:57:05 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »
I've been wanting a collapsible steering column from a column shift car with a manual transmission. The collapsible steering column and deformable steering wheel hub were only installed on late production 1967 and 1968 model year vehicles. At this time, floor shift became more popular than column shift, and a column shift manual transmission was almost nonexistent.

Scoot found me one from a column shifted car with an automatic transmission, but it wouldn't work with a manual transmission because of the shift shaft being different. After searching EPC, I found that the W108 took the same shift shaft as the W110 and W111, but finding a late production column shift manual steering column was next to impossible, too.

Old Merc Guy in South Africa had one, but he wouldn't ship to the USA. Then I found this one in Australia on Gumtree, but it was right hand drive. However, the shift shaft is the same between the left and right hand drive cars; only the plastic knob is printed upside-down. I contacted the seller, but was ignored.

So, I asked if anyone in Australia could help me. Drew56cus needed the housing for one of his projects, so he picked it up and sent me the shift shaft and related parts. So now I can convert the automatic steering column I got from Scoot into a manual shift steering column!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:57:36 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
I was curious to know the condition of the engine. I poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to soak.

I attempted to turn over the engine, but it wouldn't rotate. Then I noticed that there was a bolt jammed up against the crank damper. So, it came out.

I was then able to rotate the crank, but only 180 degrees and then it would get stuck. I checked the timing marks, and it appears that someone installed the timing chain incorrectly. The pistons are hitting the valves. The cam lobes appear to be in good condition, but there is a screw missing for the oiling tube.

I had promised the engine and automatic transmission to my roommate as spares for his 220S, so out they came. I'm going to be installing an OM617 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine and 4 speed manual column shift transmission, anyway.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:58:01 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2020, 03:49:42 PM »
I determined that in order to get the timing chain put on correctly, I'd need to either remove the rocker arms or the head. Since I was interested in seeing how the cylinder walls looked, I chose the latter. After I removed the head, I noticed the cylinders had seeds in them!

They must have gotten in through the spark plug holes since the car didn't have any when I got it.

I was pleased with how the cylinder walls look. There was hardly any lip at the tops, and there were maybe only a couple of very light vertical scratches. This engine would probably run very well for a long time.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the timing chain installed correctly. Something is really goofy! I got cylinder #1 to top dead center, observing the cylinder reaching its highest point. However, with the #1 cylinder at top dead center, the timing marks on the crank damper appear to be off 180 degrees. The pointer by the crank damper lines up close to top dead center when the #3 and #4 cylinders are at top dead center. So I wonder if someone installed the crank damper 180 degrees off?

I left the #1 cylinder at top dead center and then put the head on and installed the timing chain with the cam marks lined up. But, the pistons would still hit the valves! So, then I just kept moving the timing chain one tooth at a time to see if I could get it to a spot where the engine would do a full rotation. Nope! There wasn't a single tooth that I could place the chain where it would work. I don't understand it.

I noticed that the crank damper has a 127 part number, which is odd because I think it should have a 180 part number. Do you think that someone installed a crank from an M127 into an M180 engine? But then when I looked at the factory service manual, they appear to be configured the same. It seems as though the crank and cam aren't compatible. I'm really stumped. Where's Tram when you need him?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:58:30 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
Victory! I'd been searching for a non-rusty W111 with a sunroof for many years but couldn't acquire one. However, the free 220 was a good start, even though it didn't have a sunroof. So, I started looking for a sunroof top.

The cheapest one I could find was in Virginia, but I worried about it being rusty and shipping would have been expensive. There was one in California, too, but without being able to inspect it first, making the long drive seemed risky.

Yesterday my roommate had me pick up a tailgate for his 1965 Ford station wagon at a wrecking yard. Unfortunately, the tailgate was rusted out, but I found some chrome trim for him. There were some fintails there, including a really nice 220 and 300SE coupe. Then I saw this sunroof top laying on the ground. I couldn't believe my luck! It didn't have any more than surface rust on it.

I managed to talk the yard down to a price I could afford, strapped it to my roof, and drove home with it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:59:00 PM by Squiggle Dog »

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »
Well, this is strange... This is clearly the same door that is currently on my 220. It wasn't on the car when I got it, but I installed it, and it's on there now. But, someone is trying to sell it for the unreal price of $1,490.00!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142903616459?epid=1323553502&hash=item2145b823cb:g:1boAAOSwofdbcNzW

Picture from the ad:

Picture of the door before I put it back on the car:

Picture of the door on my car:

I checked, and the door is still on the car! I messaged this to the seller:

"Hi, do you know if this door will fit a 1965 Mercedes 220? Someone stole the driver side door on mine and I'm hoping to find one that will work. It looks like you're local, so I won't have to ship. A picture of my car is attached (before the door was stolen). Let me know if yours will work. Thanks!"

And then I attached a picture of my car with the door on it. It will be interesting to see what response I get.

Squiggle Dog

• View Profile
    • Fintail.org
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
It turns out it was the previous owner who still had the door listed and forgot about it. He took it down. Mystery solved. Considering the price of the door, he gave me a really good deal on the whole car (a 100% discount). Haha.