Author Topic: Purpose of the metal inserts on the inside of the hood?  (Read 2309 times)

OnlyPonton

• View Profile
Purpose of the metal inserts on the inside of the hood?
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:17 AM »
Can anyone speculate about the purpose of the thin and long metal inserts (2) on the inner part of most of our hoods?  Is it to give strength to the hood?  For a hood pad?
-1959 190 Ponton
-1961 190SL
-1967 250SE Sedan, 4 Speed

LWB250

• View Profile
Re: Purpose of the metal inserts on the inside of the hood?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:52:15 AM »
I would assume it's to give the hood additional strength.  I can't imagine any other reason for it.

Dan

Evlkarl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »
I am with Dan on that one also maybe to give extra support without the metal that hood twists real easy.

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »
They wouldn't put them there for grins, they had to be for a purpose.  Considering the amount of unsupported sheet metal in a hood, it only makes sense that they would put something in to strengthen them or prevent deformation.

Dan

Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
A large, flat panel is far more unstable than a similarly sized curved panel. The ribs were no doubt put there to keep flex and deformation to a minimum w/o adding extra weight.
Robin

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

tram

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
They originally came with squares of sound deadener between the brace and the hood. They are a vibration damper.
Life is sexually transmitted and fatal... so who needs airbags* and ABS?

*W112 excepted

fitts07

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:10 AM »
So did fintails come with a hood pad? I've always thought it would look nicer with one.
Its what non-car people dont get. They see all cars as just two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities. You can develop a relationship with a car, and thats just what non-car people don't get.

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
So did fintails come with a hood pad? I've always thought it would look nicer with one.

Not to my knowledge, but there are better informed folks here who would have the definitive answer.

Dan

Aaron H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »
The only fintail that came with a hood pad was the 280se 3.5 coupe` and cabriolet.  Though, I put hood pads on everything I own to save my paint.  Both single stage paint and base coat/clear coat are short lived when residual engine heat creeps up to the hood on a hot summer day. 

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
The only fintail that came with a hood pad was the 280se 3.5 coupe` and cabriolet.  Though, I put hood pads on everything I own to save my paint.  Both single stage paint and base coat/clear coat are short lived when residual engine heat creeps up to the hood on a hot summer day.

The coupe and cabriolet hoods are different from the sedans, aren't they? If so, what would you recommend for the material, or can one of them be used and trimmed to fit if necessary?

Thanks,

Dan

Aaron H

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
Yes, the hoods are different between the sedans and the coupe`/cabriolet models......but they're still considered "little" fintails.  So they're inclusive in this forum.  To answer your question, I usually have good luck buying a hood pad for a 3.5 and trimming it down to fit. 

LWB250

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
Yes, the hoods are different between the sedans and the coupe`/cabriolet models......but they're still considered "little" fintails.  So they're inclusive in this forum.  To answer your question, I usually have good luck buying a hood pad for a 3.5 and trimming it down to fit.

Thanks, Aaron!  I knew you would have a solution...

Dan